The Science Center is a not-for-profit science and technology museum. Our previous location in downtown Cedar Rapids was damaged by the flood in June 2008. We relocated to Lindale Mall with an Exhibit Gallery and Education Center in the Lower Level for almost five years and in September of 2013 found a long term home at 5824 Council ST NE. We offer hands-on programming for individuals, families, groups, and scouts, both on-site and off-site throughout Eastern Iowa.
The organization started in 1985 as a project of the junior league known as the Science Station. Originally the museum was housed in a historic brick structure built in 1917 as a fire station. Over time the organization expanded and built an IMAX® theatre as well as expanded exhibit space in a neighboring building. After the devastating flood of June 2008 operations were located in Lindale Mall. In Sept of 2013 the Center moved into a new location on Council St in Cedar Rapids. But has since moved to its final location at 705 N Center Point Rd, Hiawatha, IA 52233