The Dover Historical Society was established in 1995 following the gift of the former glove factory-creamery building for a museum.
Construction in 1909 was a joint venture between J. E. Peterson and the Masons. Mr. Peterson moved his glove factory into the first floor and the Masons relocated their temple to the second floor of this building. From 1928 to 1968 this building housed a creamery. After various uses, in 1995 the facility was donated for the purpose of establishing a museum and was placed on the National Register Of Historical Places in 1996.
To establish a historical museum in New London, Iowa providing for the recognition and preservation of historical artifacts of New London and the surrounding areas.
The Dover Historical Society endeavored to keep alive with the establishment of the museum which offers programs for the youth and adults, provides permanent and changing exhibits, assists New London elementary classes with “hands on” demonstrations, and displays WWII materials for high school history classes.
Many of the displays are of former businesses. Since the second floor was constructed as the Masonic Temple, a “mini” temple arrangement is located where the original was. We have a “one-room school” where information about the county schools that became the New London School District can be found. A 1930-40’s “house” is located on the first floor along with the agricultural and dairy exhibits. Our library offers local family histories, Henry County vital records, New London High School annuals, Iowa history books, and other resource material. The museum serves meals for class and family reunions, business meetings and is famous for its “hot chicken sandwich supper” served during New London’s annual Holiday Stroll the first Saturday of December. These meals help support the operation of the facility. The Dover Museum is handicapped accessible with a chair lift and wheel chair available.